Monday, September 29, 2008

Scripture Study

Today's seminary lesson was amazing. I absolutely loved it. So I am going to try and repeate it. It probably won't be as effective as it was in the classroom...we'll see what happens.

First thing...(and you don't have to answer in a comment or anything)
Have you noticed a difference in your life when you read and study the scriptures?

Now I'm going to share with you a way to make scripture study more effective.
Bro. Moon had shared some of a talk by Boyd K. Packer, but I can't find it so I'm just going to have to sumarize what he said.

It does not matter how much you read. The time you spend reaing is more important.
When you study, read the verse(s). Then ponder, pray, and reread them until you understand. When you have a personal revelation write down your impressions of the verse.

Now, read Matthew 5:13.

13 ¶ Ye are the asalt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.

Easy verse to skip over right?Let's try to understand it.
What is salt for? We use it to flavor things. There are things that don't taste very good without it.

Now, how can this apply to us? How can we be like salt? I think it means that our good examples and teachings can help make others happy.

But, there is the other part. If salt looses it's flavor, it's useless.
Likewise, if we do not spread the gospel and serve and be a good example, we cannot make others happy. Our lives will be wasted because we didn't help others.

So, this verse actually goes right along with the next verses, Matthew 5:14-16, which mean pretty much the same thing.

14 Ye are the alight of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

15 Neither do men light a acandle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.

16 Let your alight so shine before men, that they may see your good bworks, and cglorify your Father which is in heaven.

I would challenge you now to help us salt the earth.
I testify to you that others will be enlightened by your example and the teachings of the church. I also testify that if you will use this method of scripture study, you will notice a change in your life. You will feel so much closer to the spirit. I know this and I have noticed it in my own life.
I say this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments: