Friday, October 24, 2008

Resist Temptation

I'm subscribed to the Daily Gems from LDS.org (they send a short quote every day, check lds.org for more info). Today the quote reminded me of a lesson on repentance we had recently in seminary.

"When we have received a forgiveness of sins, a broken heart serves as a divine shield against temptation. Nephi prayed, 'May the gates of hell be shut continually before me, because that my heart is broken and my spirit is contrite!' (2 Nephi 4:32). King Benjamin taught his people that if they would walk in the depths of humility, they might ever rejoice, 'be filled with the love of God, and always retain a remission of . . . sins' (Mosiah 4:12). When we yield our hearts to the Lord, the attractions of the world simply lose their luster."
Bruce D. Porter, "A Broken Heart and a Contrite Spirit," Ensign, Nov. 2007, 32

I really liked that because a step of repentance that we forget a lot is to come unto the Savior.

I know that once we are truly converted (or have a change in heart, or come unto Christ), our wants will start to become aligned with the Lord's and temptation will not be so tempting. I say this in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

No comments: