Saturday, October 11, 2008

SET: Alma 36:17-20

SET stands for Share, Explain, Testify. So when I say SET, that's what I mean. When I set I will share a scripture, explain it, and testify of a principle within. Setting and pulling principles are skills that can come very useful when sharing the gospel. The best way to develop the skill is just through practice.

So I'm going to set Alma 36:17-20.

In Alma 36, Alma the younger is old talking to his son Helaman before he dies. (later chapters for his other sons.) In this section he is telling Helaman about his conversion.

17 And it came to pass that as I was thus aracked with torment, while I was bharrowed up by the cmemory of my many sins, behold, I dremembered also to have heard my father prophesy unto the people concerning the coming of one Jesus Christ, a Son of God, to atone for the sins of the world.

18 Now, as my mind caught hold upon this thought, I cried within my heart: O Jesus, thou Son of God, ahave mercy on me, who am bin the cgall of bitterness, and am encircled about by the everlasting dchains of edeath.

19 And now, behold, when I thought this, I could remember my apains bno more; yea, I was harrowed up by the memory of my sins no more.

20 And oh, what ajoy, and what marvelous light I did behold; yea, my soul was filled with joy as exceeding as was my pain!

Alma turned to Christ and his pains were taken from him. He had a true conversion and he was filled with great joy.

I know that if we experience a true conversion like Alma did, we will be happy too. If we turn to Christ he will carry our burdens. I say this in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

No comments: