Monday, November 24, 2008

Energy Drinks

I feel bad for not posting. I regrettably have been way too busy with homework and such to even think about getting on the computer for anything other than homework.
So now I'm making myself post even though I'm not done with homework.
And the quote that went with a lesson I learned in seminary...I can't find it. I'm sorry. But it basically said that the most important commandment is the one that is the hardest for you to keep.

An increasing problem has been energy drinks.
The Word of Wisdom has nothing against them specifically.
But they contain caffeine. A lot of caffeine. An average can of cola has about 22-55 milligrams of caffeine. An energy drink can have from 80-500 milligrams of caffeine, in a single can.
So what about it?
Caffeine is, basically, a drug. It's kind of like alcohol (though obviously a lot milder).
Your body can become addicted to it. So by drinking these "energy" drinks often, one can become addicted. And it is very hard to break the addiction.
But energy drinks aren't just being used as an energy drink. Teens are having contests, seeing who can drink the most and/or the fastest.
Chugging an energy drink can be very dangerous. There's a certain speed that your body can take it. Pushing it definitely isn't the best thing to be doing...

So anyway...beware.
Just because something isn't specifically specified in the word of wisdom, doesn't make it okay. The word of wisdom doesn't give an list of all the drugs and stuff that's out there. Just use your head. If it's dangerous to your health, don't do it.

I know that by following the word of wisdom, and keeping our bodies healthy, we can lead a happier, more successful life. And I know that if we have a healthy body, we can have a healthy spirit.
In the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments: